9.04.2007

Mr. Thirsty

Isaac had his first Texan dentist appointment today. He did SO GOOD! I was so proud of him. He had x-rays taken and even had his teeth cleaned, without any tears or putting up any kind of fight. The dentist was impressed at how well he did, for how young he is. Especially with having the poor dental history he has.

He loved the dental assistant Miss Amber, who helped his wear a superman cape to take his x-rays. She showed him all of the instruments used to clean his teeth (she had cute names for all of them, I only remember Mr. Thirsty for the spit sucker). She even let Isaac use Mr. Thirsty and practice sucking water our of a cup. He got to sit in a cool chair and watch Shrek while he had his teeth "tickled". Isaac was such a big boy!

Unfortunately my story doesn't get to end on a happy note. I knew Isaac had cavities, and we have done this before, but that doesn't make the news any easier. Isaac has had dental work done two other times in the last year. Most of you know those stories, and I won't go into length about them, but we have shed many tears, and had many struggles with his teeth.

I am thankful that we found Dr. Tim though. For the first time, we found a dentist who wants to start a preventative plan, instead of just fixing Isaac's teeth, as needed.

On our part, we get to change Isaac's eating habits (not what he eats, just how often), and brush his teeth after every meal. Nothing too hard.

On the medical side, Isaac is going to have caps put on his teeth. Dr. Tim doesn't feel comfortable having the procedure done in his office, so we get to visit a Pediatric Surgery Center. Isaac will be put to sleep for about three hours. The actual procedure itself should only take 45 minutes to an hour.

When I was told this had to happen, thoughts of Isaac's surgery from last year flashed through my head. I remember crying when they took him and walked away to have his procedure done. It's not an easy thing letting go, and not being able to be there to hold his hand.

Needless to say I am not thrilled about what has to take place. I just pray that everything can go smoothly, and this can be the end of our cavity nightmares with Isaac.

8 comments:

marci said...

Brooke! So glad you found me!!! I've been wondering what you've been up to. Where are you now and....what are you up to? Your kids are adorable! I almost didn't recognize you with your brunette 'do'. You look great. I want details. You can email me at marcicoombs@hotmail.com.....thanks for checking in on us. I love your blog!!!

Lara Neves said...

Poor Isaac. I hope it all works out well.

Chloe had to have a similar procedure a couple months ago and I was a wreck. She came out of it okay though, and she actually smiles now. I didn't realize how badly the teeth problems she had bothered her. She's even mentioned that she can eat ice cream and it doesn't hurt!

Good luck!

Michael said...

just get him dentures, that's the wave of the future! then no cavities, no braces, etc....

what a big brave kid he is. must have got that from his neighbor growing up...

Unknown said...

Oh Brooke! I'm so sorry to hear about Isaac's teeth....we will definitely be praying for you guys that everything will go well!

JenW said...

wow, that sounds like a little bit of a trauma for isaac...and mommy! i hope all goes well with him, it's so hard for us to get ethan to brush and let us brush his teeth...we definitely need to be sure we try a lot harder! what a good boy he is to have been so good at the dentist!

The Miller's said...

Bless your heart! I feel his pain. I have been to the dentist at least 4 times this month. The first visit was for a cleaning since I havent had it done in over a year. Then the other 3 were to have my cavities filled yes I had 10 I was freaking OUT! He will do fine. Just stay strong and dont let him see you upset then he will be scared. Make sure he gets a blessing that would be the best thing. That will help him and confort you.

The Tate's said...

Wow that is great that he did so well at the dentist and that you found one you like. We have yet to take Jeffry to the dentist. I am not sure how he would do. I am sure he is way over due for an appointment though. Hope all goes well with his other appointments!

Heidi said...

Oh man that is no fun at all. Kelsie had some work done a year ago and I feel for you. Poor little Isaac. I hope it all goes ok. Keep us updated.